How did Don Shane die ? What was his cause of death

Don Shane, the much-loved longtime Channel 7 sportscaster, who died suddenly and unexpectedly on Friday night, February 24th 2023. He was 70 years old at the time of his passing. Across Oklahoma City and beyond, Don Shane was respected for his incredible enthusiasm and passion for sports – he was an absolute master of making each arena come alive with excitement during each broadcast.

How did Don shane die ? What was his cause of death

Don Shane will be remembered as a legend in the Detroit TV market, having served as a sports anchor for decades. His sudden passing on Friday night at the age of 70 came as a shock to colleagues and viewers alike, leaving many bereaved and distraught.

After his retirement in 2012, Don moved to Arizona and later resided close by his children in California, where he welcomed his first grandchild last year. Although we cannot know what caused Don’s death yet, we will surely remember him for his profound influence in the Detroit area, which is why Broadcast House paid tribute to him shortly after his retirement back in 2012. Our thoughts remain with Don’s family during this difficult time.

Who was Don shane ?

Don was a fixture on-air at WXYZ for more than two decades, making an unforgettable impression on the station and their viewers. From the high of numerous championships to the despairful losses, he embodied what it meant to follow the local teams and experience those moments of drama and emotion firsthand with the audience. During his time, Don’s coverage extended far beyond Detroit to include milestone events like NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Championships, Rose Bowl games, and fights from Las Vegas. His journey through this time at channel 7 will serve as an unmistakable mark for years to come.

Don Redden’s larger then life personality shines through in the popular Dare Don segments that he produced throughout his career. During one such segment, Don agreed to a challenge from former Lions great Chris Spielman which resulted in three broken ribs for Don – a reminder of the lengths that he would go to for a story. But what really stands out about Don’s career is not just the weirdness or extraordinary nature of some of these adventures, but also the dedication and drive he had to bring viewers entertaining and meaningful stories. His nearly four-decade-long tenure in television news is a testament to the quality and commitment of his work that resonates still with audiences today.

Tributes pours to Don shane death

Very sad news to pass along this morning. Longtime WXYZ Sports Director Don Shane has passed away 💔

I never had the opportunity to work with or meet Don personally, however I am thinking of his family today.

He had such an incredible impact on Broadcast House and Detroit.

Terribly sad news. I grew up watching Don Shane like many of you. A true sports television icon in the city of Detroit. Condolences to the Shane family. Rest in Peace 🙏🏻

My mother went to school with Bill Bond’s first wife. My mother wanted so much for me to go into broadcasting. I did head down the path briefly at U of D. Don Shane was one of the great sportscaster. He had a true love for the games.

I always liked Don Shane. He reported the sports well without being overly gimmicky like some other sportscasters. Definitely will be missed…

ncG1vNJzZminqJyusb%2BNqKmgZ5Sku26%2Fx5qlnmc%3D